Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rave...Change

When I was in 5th or 6th grade, my Dad and I were driving in the car...a news program on the radio was reporting about a civil rights demonstration and the ensuing violence. I asked my Dad what it was all about and why people were acting this way. He then explained the basis for the civil rights movement, who was involved, and why...from that moment on I was an activist. I had an uncanny awareness of the injustice around me, and for many years, my young life would be filled with speaking my mind on the subject, in many different ways, and much frustration and disbelief at the cruelty people could inflict on one another.
As a kid I was aware that my Dad took heat from the city and school system in Berkeley because he integrated the elite and all white basketball team at the high school. Previously, no Black students would come out for the team, because they knew they wouldn't be chosen...then they came, and they WON, and they kept on winning and they became famous.
As a teenager my church group leader told racist jokes in group....I left, angry and in tears, slammed the door, and had the group leader at my house that evening in a discussion with my parents...they backed me up, the guy left the church........after a while, so did I. What I learned at church didn't translate into the real world. Didn't change my relationship with God, only organized religion....to this day, hasn't changed much has it?
All of the leaders in my youth were killed...JFK, MLK, RK...would we ever be able to have a credible leader without violence, and hatred?
I've experienced racism through my associations much of my life...sadness, disbelief, even despair, that people didn't see what I saw in my friends....I saw no end in sight....
The other day, I felt reborn as an American...not because my new President is a Black man and civil rights was my cause for so long, but, despite continued racism and misunderstanding, we have come so far as a nation to have given him our collective respect, the reins to our future, and the passion to make all things possible...that is truly worth breathing a sigh of relief, getting involved, being proud, and just feeling filled up with a love for my fellow man that I haven't felt for so long. Feels so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

  1. I have read so many articles on what all of this means in America. I have read no one who put it better than you.

    You are so right, the fact that the president was elected with our collective effort and has our collective respect is the biggest change of all.
    Chris it's people like you who have a true sense of justice and humanity that made this happen. It really does feel good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful. I like the way you used personal material from your childhood and weaved it into a story about current events. I, too, used to stand up for racial equality at a young age. I surprised my parents with my sense of social justice at the tender age of eight years old! And, like you, I have not changed in that regard.However, I eventually found a church that wasn't so uptight and formal. Keep looking for a group of like-minded people you can enjoy God with. It's cool when you find a place where you can worship and belong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys...it's been sitting on my heart for many weeks, and not able to write about it. On Jan. 21, the tears really flowed and it sunk in. And, Laurie, I just feel blessed that I didn't lose my way, just my community! But I have my Mom to keep me in sinc....she has an open heart, a nonjudgemental spirit, and a direct line!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie is right there is a church for you. We went looking for that too and forun United Church of Christ (UCC). I thought of it when you spoke of your mom. You are so lucky to have her. The folks at my church are like that. One thing I think you'll like is that the UCC believes, God is Still Speaking. google God is still Speaking for mo info. There are other out there churches too that are not so rigid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teared up a little reading your post... which is a hard thing to do. Very well said. I think many of us are proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reborn is a good way to put it Chris..My hero was Bobbie Kennedy and he was responsible for my activism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for commenting on something close to my heart...it was wonderful to hear your reactions....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya know what?? I am SO GLAD to hear your stories, Chris. I knew some of the strife Uncle Spike faced in Berkeley, but not to the extent you describe. We grew up in different worlds, Chris. The closest I can come to anything similar is when Mom made sure I attended inner-racial nursey school in south Minneapolis when she volunteered there. Once we moved to South Dakota...Dad was an outspoken advocate of his Lakota students at the university.

    I guess we're lucky to have had the role models we had, eh?

    And thanks for putting into words, so beautifully, what I am SURE many people felt and are feeling lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wAY TO GO , HONEY. I CONTINUE TO BE PROUD OF YOU AND YOUR COMPASSIONATE HEART...MOST NURSES ARE LIKE THAT. LUV, MOM

    ReplyDelete