Well, we were excited to arrive in PV....it was my first day to show Mom Mexico, not to mention a town that I know well. My friends who have lived there for years were out of the country, so we were on our own. The ship docked very close to the main street, which made it easy to just walk over to the bus stop. This was a good choice because it was only a few pesos, as opposed to $5 each for the taxi. Besides, taking the bus has "flavor", it feels real! The bus was very full, but Mom got a seat and I stood, holding on for dear life with both hands to the bar overhead. The bus went very fast for a block, then abruptly stopped within an inch of the bus already there...it made surfing seem like a cakewalk!!! When the buses pass each other, there are maybe inches between...since Mom was sitting next to the window, it made for a couple of nervous moments. I eventually got the seat next to her and we laughed with a couple of American women sitting in front of us about the experience. This went on for the 4 mi. into old town Vallarta, I gave the women some directions and suggestions, and off we went.
We walked along the Malecon, which is a stretch of sidewalk along the beach side of the main street, and bordering the part of town with all of the touristy restaurants, shops and galleries...there are wonderful sculptures now, as well as impressive sand sculptures. When we got to the town square, we walked up to the cathedral...I took the opportunity to take some photos, as I have never had a chance to go in when it was so empty. We sat and had a quiet moment, and then continued on our walk. We wound our way through the streets and dodging traffic, down to a walkway along the tree-lined Cuale river, where there is an outdoor market, and further down, to the restaurant where I was taking my Mom for a celebratory lunch.
I can't say enough about Le Bistro...it is beautiful, even more so after a recent redo, soothing, and sitting next to the river. We dined on mushroom soup, lobster enchiladas, and a nice glass of white wine. At night they have live jazz, but in the daytime, jazz was still softly playing over the sound system. Just perfect...
The rest of our day was spent strolling, looking in shops, making a few purchases, sitting in the park, having a margarita at a beach bar, and finally choosing to go back to the ship for dinner. We hailed a cab for our return trip, and except for a momentary regret because of the empty beer cans on the floor, we had one of the best cab rides I've ever experienced in Mexico...slow, careful...and we arrived in one piece!!
Boy, your recall is amazing or did you take notes? I will have to have you print this so I can always have it in hand so I can remember!! Don't laugh, it comes to all of us. Good pics, too, and I'm waiting for mine to show up, hint, hint. I love your detail and maybe you missed your calling, dear one, or maybe journalism is in your future. I can still taste that lunch and want to go back!! Well, my one disappointment was the sameness of all the shops and not very many had quality merchandise to offer, but luckily you knew some of the ones who did and I love my fish!! Still have to hang them but it's on my to-do list:) More later...love you. Mom
ReplyDeleteYay! Pictures and stories!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you had a great time.
Mexico is such a beautiful place; the history, the art, the architecture.
Can't wait for the next installment...
I might have to reconsider my stance on cruises.
ReplyDeleteD...I never thought it would be for me, but it is a fun choice...not my first one for seeing a country, as I like to stay longer and enjoy the culture.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a fun time, I am not fond of hot humid weather.
ReplyDeleteThat gene skipped from my mom to my daughter.
The hotter the better for them, I like sweatshirt weatther.
What was your weather like ?
Our weather was really mild...high 70's, maybe 80, and not humid at this time of year...the water was warmer than the air, believe it or not! So what are you doing in MN if you don't like humid?!!! Yikes...it's almost as bad as Mexico during the summer! YOu would like Monterey!
ReplyDeleteGreen Tea, I may have been an Iowan for 24 yrs. but the hot and humid is for monkeys!! Give me a sweatshirt any day . You need to get away :) Chris' Mom
ReplyDelete