Chapter 1: Cruising
Well, that was fun! No trip is perfect, as your perception is always different than the reality...in the long run though, the unknown is always best...who doesn't like surprises? It adds flavor, good or bad.....
The best part, of course, was sharing the trip with my Mom...something we haven't done since I was a teenager. We had a few hours of driving to LA, a wonderful lunch on the way, an overnight with a friend of mine, in Long Beach, a sunny morning walk by the beach and in her neighborhood, where we stopped at a couple of garage sales. Midday, we got on the ship, unpacked, had lunch and went exploring! (Even after a week on board, we never stopped getting lost!) Always exciting sailing out of San Pedro, with the restaurants along the channel talking to us over their bull horns, and customers waving. Since we lucked out and had a sunny day, we had a beautiful view of Catalina Is. and later, the sunset right next to it. We sat on our balcony and had a glass of wine, had a wonderful dinner in the dinning room, listened to some music, and called it a day...what a full day it was!
Our first sea day was a little bit of a bust as far as weather, as it wasn't exactly warm and friendly outside...overcast, and a sprinkle or two... I think it was more of a problem for the families who were trying to keep kids busy because they couldn't be in the pool! We found lots to do...the ship has movies, an internet cafe, a library, food courts, shops, golf, a casino, a game room, coffee bar, regular bars...it's a small city on the water!!
The second day we got to lounge in the sun, and swim....my Mom was 'hot' in her red bathing suit! I have a cute pic of her, but she said "No way Jose!" at being posted on the internet as a bathing beauty!!! Too bad Mom!!!!! Hey, if you were 'hot' at 80, wouldn't you want the world to know it? We saw gray whales and dolphins when we got close to Cabo and the Sea of Cortez....always a thrill, even though it's a common occurrence at home. We stood at the railing for over an hour...we were so close to land and Cabo, we could see the surf on the beaches.
That night was our first formal night...a chance to get all gussied up and add a little bling. Since I have almost no opportunity to do this at home anymore, it was fun! It's also a good time to have multiple tries at getting your picture taken from several different photographers. Well, this was also an opportunity for us to get multiple chances to LOL not only at ourselves, but at our fellow travelers...we were in such a state right before we were about to be photographed...our eyes were red from laughing and the resulting pictures caused even more 'peeing your pants moments' later in the week when we were trying to decide which ones we wanted to purchase. We went through this again on our next to the last night of the cruise! We did it enough that we actually came home with some good photos!!!!
Mom was missing my Dad every time we were listening to music, as she would rather be on the dance floor, and we were both missing Gary, as we needed him in the piano bar to help us win the music trivia!!
All in all, the ship experience was nice, and we made the best of it, despite some cooler than expected weather. We weren't into the casino, playing bridge, etc. so it was good we were off the ship for three days. More on that later, when we share our time in Mexico.......hasta luego!!!!!
Well, here goes a second shot at it as the first one disappeared into cyberspace??? Good job, Chris , and glad your memory is so good and the pics will help:) The best part of this was the mother-daughter experience with lots of hysterical laughing (hysterical is good, gals)and people-watching humor. My gal did a good job of plannning and research as the excursions were one of the highlights for me, getting into the real culture and people as I'm not much for "touristy" stuff. My camera was acting "old" and so Chris' pics tell a good story as some of the scenery shots are spectacular. And by the way, if that bathing suit pic ever turns up you're history, kid. Neither one of us is much for the buffet, stuff yourself silly scene, but the dining at night was just right and especially with out neighbors who were a delightful couple who joined us several nights. She is a Canadian and he is English and the two share a home for parts of the year in each of their homes and winter in Mesa, AZ together. Not a bad arrangement as it seems to work wonderfully for them and it couldn't happen to two nicer people. We hope to stay in touch. Back to the citizens of Mexico: I was so impressed by the fact that many have so little and yet they seem to be very happy and friendly and share what they have with others. I don't believe that's just to the tourists who show up but they way the villages were kept clean (someone always sweeping, even if it was the dirt in the yard)and clean, white clothes which looks to be impossible in that environment of very little green grass. The flowers and shrubs , trees,were absolutely beautiful. The one day we spent in PV was just for fun, shopping and the Bistro for lunch, which Chris had planned for us. It was by a little stream on an open patio so we could enjoy the birds , etc. The lunch was good,with wine,and the ambience was really beautiful as it had been renovated since Chris and
ReplyDeleteGary had been there. Good thing Chris has a sense of humor as she was with her nutty Mother and a good time was had by all:) Enough of this for now and perhaps more as I read what Chris is telling. Love yah, Mom
Well Mom, I may not have to post again!!!!!!! But loved your input and I'm sure others will enjoy it as well!
ReplyDeleteYou two are so cute..
ReplyDeleteAs for the B suit. Don't blame you Hot Mom..
I haven't let anyone take a picture of me in a B suit since I was 16..
Milky white Irish skin just doesn't look hot on anyone older then that.
Never been on a cruise, if I could get Hubba to go on one, it would be a Mediterranean cruise so I can go to the Greek Islands.
I can dream :D
Greece is one of the places on my list...not a cruise though...I want to EXPERIENCE the culture there for a while...I wouldn't want to miss anything!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your wonderful trip. Someone always sweeping? Wow! That's amazing to think about. You make me want to go on a cruise. What a great experience to have together.
ReplyDeleteOh, and the picture is so precious. You are both beautiful.
ReplyDeletePeople in Mexico are always sweeping...sidewalks, dirt patio areas, you name it, they sweep it! I saw a guy sweeping his little palm tree in front of his house!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jackie!!!
It sounds like so much fun! I say, hell yes, mom, put your pic on the web if you're hot at 80! Jeez, Chris, lucky genes you've got there ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm humbly aware.......
ReplyDeleteI must say that I enjoyed taking my mom to Ireland a few years ago. Then again I think it helps to not have a dull and boring mother. Sounds like you're mom isn't dull and boring either. Although, I'm with Mari on the pic!
ReplyDeleteGood to hear from you...no I don't have a boring Mom! And I'm respecting the picture thing...it's her call.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful picture of you and your mother. I have been once to Puerta Vallarta. Hopefully, I can get back there again one day.
ReplyDeleteThat picture of you two is a DEFINITE keeper. What memories you created on this trip...how fantastic. I have never taken a cruise...I want to now!
ReplyDelete