Sunday, June 21, 2009

Rave...Dads



This is my dad, now 83, and going strong! Despite being active and committed most days to walking 2 mi, he's spending Father's Day in front of the TV watching golf! Way to go Dad!!!!!!!

Sports is his passion and he has spent his life being a jock...playing semi-pro baseball, and being a coach at the high school level...most of his career, as the basketball coach at Berkeley High School, where he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. He is revered by his former students and players, many who went on to play professional sports. Of course I am proud of his professional career, and was always in awe that we could never go anywhere, or out to dinner without someone asking him if he was who he was! But even more than being a coach, he educated the community about racism by integrating the team at a difficult time in our history, he was a "DAD", a mentor, a social worker, and much more to many of his young men. I inherited many of my Dad's ideas of social justice, which I am forever greatful for, and proud that he voted for Obama!!!

My brother's and I were very lucky to have had summer time with our Dad...he was the lifeguard at the pool, where we were most days! We traveled cross country most summers, to see our families in the midwest......camping and visiting some of the most wonderful places in the country...too many stories to tell here!

Thanks Dad for being you, and I am so blessed to still have you in my life....








I can't let Father's Day go by without saying that I have the best husband/Dad/Grandpa combo around!! My daughter was so lucky to have him be the one to raise her from age 9 1/2! He has given her so much......a love of books, music, movies, as well as a sense of security. The grandgirls worship him...there's nothing he won't do for them!

Thanks for being the best ever Dad and Grandpa!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome rave, Chris! Happy Father's Day to all the great dads out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I needed a good reason to rave! I usually have more raves than rants in me, until lately!!!! Thank goodness for Dads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dads are so very important! You hit the jackpot, twice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jackie...that's one thing in life I did luck out on! Nice to hear from ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to honor your Dad, Chris, and Gary also, as we know how much he contributes to the well-being of his "girls"! I can hardly wait to show your Dad this and wish you would print it for your brothers to see as well. Much Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your father while you can. I only have my mom. He is lucky to have you as a daugher, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks Laurie...hope your trip to NOLA was good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful..I still miss my Dad..I was only 25 when he died way to young.

    ReplyDelete