Call me crazy, but I think the insurance companies have had their chance to show us their stuff....not working!!!!! Who wants them to continue to be in the mix of health care reform? At this time they tell doctors what tests they can order, who can be hospitalized, and basically making medical decisions that they don't have any business making. They tell us that if we have a pre-existing condition, we are excluded...who doesn't have a pre-existing condition? If we happen to be taking a certain medication, we pay more....even if that medication is keeping us healthy and not racking up serious hospital bills. Only working people deserve medical care? What if you aren't working, or ARE working and still can't afford the premium? Interesting, and troubling questions.
Insurance companies have more money than God, so they have always been able to fight any political attempt to change the system...you know, the system that they have in the bag, and so far, no one has been able to change! Is that okay with you? Now that there is a chance that they are up against a possible system change, maybe one that excludes them altogether, like the single-payer system, they are acting like rats on a sinking ship. They are scrambling to make concessions, but it's too little, too late. Greed gone bad, like the auto industry...it isn't meeting the needs of the people, so we need a new approach, to move on into the future of health care...something that works.
I personally, along with so many others, are dealing with these issues....now that I'm retired, and not in the work force, I will be spending almost $700 a mo. for health care, as I'm not old enough for medicare. Many will choose not to have health coverage, as this is prohibitive for them...many will choose not to take the medications they need to stay healthy, or have Dr. appts., medical tests, or treatments to save their lives. These things should not have to be choices, and available to only those that can pay.
We need to write to our congress people and let them know how we feel, tell our stories and advocate for ourselves...we finally have someone who is listening. Give it some thought, put it on your short list, research it and act. Whether you agree with the President, or with the single-payer people, or not sure, it will be the fight of our lives......literally!!!!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou said it better then
ReplyDeleteI could Chris..
It's a difficult subject. I know some have said that if we socialized healthcare getting appointments to see doctors would be harder. We're already there. I live in an area where there are tons of doctors. Hell, you can't throw a rock without hitting at least five of them. However, I remember how frustrated I have been when making appointments to see specialists where I have had to wait upwards to two months for a problem I wanted answers to then at the time. There's a lot that needs improvement. Socializing it is just the start. Availability and personalization needs to be in the mix as well.
ReplyDeleteIt's going to be hard to see what will happen because we aren't "fixed" yet...if we try to have everything, it won't work...if we have a well done single-payer system, we will save so much money....that doesn't necessarily mean free...we could all pay a little based on income. Medicare people have to pay...it's not free. The other side doesn't want to help, so screw them...we need to keep pandering and get on with it! If someone can come up with the best of programs, I'll be the first to support it...I'm not up for paying $650/mo for my health care just because I'm not employed! Work shouldn't be the reason for being covered!!! College students, kids, retired folks...we all fall in the middle...and fall we will........
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI meant...we need to stop pandering!
ReplyDeleteChris: Thank you so much for your visit to my site. I have worked with three children with brain cancer and it is absolutely appaling what these insurance companies are allowed to get away with. It is nothing less than criminal. Traditional medicine often tells the parents there's nothing that can be done. When alternative medicine paths are pursued, the insurance companies are heartless. Profits come before the children. I'm surprised we have relative calm in this country over this issue. I also feel badly for your $700 a month billing. I don't have the answer, but I wish the President well in tackling a big headache in addressing this mess. Take care! :D)
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting me as well, Michael...I always enjoy reading your comments on other sites...this will be a big one for Obama that's for sure! That's why he needs our help...we need to be informed, and then shout like hell!!!
ReplyDelete