Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rant....I don't think it will happen.....sigh!

Maybe I'm just feeling morose today...maybe I'm feeling jealous and angry about what other countries have in the way of health care, and it sounds so easy, so why not us? Maybe it's because I just wrote a check for my first COBRA payment....a 600% ouch!!!! When I read about and listen to what our lawmakers are doing to completely screw up the health care reform, I just want to cry. I feel so helpless. I've lost my confidence. I don't think it's going to happen!

We've been led to believe that health reform is high on the list, maybe a reality by August. Something might happen, but what will the end result be? Real reform, or just more band aids? Will it really change people's lives? Look at the people who are deciding our fate! Look how they continue to pander to the insurance companies, who still have the money and the influence to have Washington by the balls...the American public is suffering, getting sicker, unable to get the care they need, have Dr.s who can't practice medicine, losing their homes and savings because of illness, etc, etc.........

We don't need "token" reform....we need the REAL THING! The system is so complicated and uneven right now...a friend has worked for 6 years for the state to be able to have health care for the rest of her life after she retires....I worked as a nurse, in a hospital, for 30 years and I left with nothing! The proposed reform, as it stands now, will only complicate, and add more differences.......

I've written letters, I've blogged, and done all of the things only one person can do to enact change.........But today, I'm feeling like it won't happen..............

10 comments:

  1. I am feeling the same way... Healthcare reform is why I started as a Hilary supporter. Her plan was better. Oh well, I will continue to write to whomever Move On suggests, on this issue. In the meantime, I was picked up by the Utah High Risk Insurance Pool. I will pay a few hundred dollars a month, but I have a 6-month waiting period before the insurance will pay for anything! Hard to remember that if I have a major illness or event, it might keep us from losing our home. Still- it feels like gambling, just throwing money down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also-
    Who decided that California state workers are rewarded like that? It's crazy. I know someone who left a prison job on disability- and will get her full salary forever. ??!!! wtf? It is crazy. No wonder the budget is such a disaster. When are californians going to toss schwarzenegger out? Aren't they blaming him for the mess? I know the benefits program was around long before him, but the state budget is in worse shape than ever, and schwarenegger scoffed so at grey davis when arnold went after his job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, Mari! I know I'm not the only one feeling the non-love of our healthcare system, and I'm really glad that you found something to deal with your pre-existing health issues, but you do know we could do better?!
    Calif. had a chance to be in the forefront of healthcare reforrm at the state level, but it didn't go through...the terminator has done his damage in more ways than one, but we all have state problems that would put anyone under the gun...just like Obama at the federal level. We do have a possibility of some good candidates next election...stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sickened by the fact that the opportunists against health care reform not only get their palms greased by those with the most to lose because of reform, but are using chaos in the Middle East as a diversion from the fact that they are dirty bastards.

    I got an email the other day and signed the CitizensForAPublicOption.com petition.

    I wonder how long it would take to enact reform if our *representatives* had to worry about losing their own coverage? Can we put that on a ballot as a referendum state by state?

    Sounds like a place to start to me, perhaps...

    Great rant Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skye...I LOVE that as a place to start...always wondered what they would do if they were in our shoes! Perspective.......hmmmmmm?????
    Does seem like we keep getting diverted, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have to remember that even though we have a majrity of Democrats in Congress some of thos Democrats come for Conservative districts and will never support Universal Coverage.
    I got this Information on the net..

    It is curious that the United States ranked below Europe in the World Health Organization’s 2000 World Health Report, which rated 191 countries’ medical systems.
    In his documentary Sicko, socialist Michael Moore makes hay out of the fact that the United States placed 37th, behind even Morocco, Cyprus, and Costa Rica. This ranking is used to “prove” that state-controlled health care is superior to the “free market.”

    Keep up the fight ladies eventually when the ER's are flooded or we take to the streets they will get our message.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez I have to proof read ...GiGi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good dialogues, ladies, and I agree with what you're saying. I do have the cushion of having Medicare and a supplement, but who knows when that will no longer be available. "Sicko" was right on the money and maybe we should all move to France and tell the IRS to screw it!! I usually don't get too fired up to use profanity (on page, anyway) but ,like all of us, the frustration is almost to the point of revolution. I don't agree with Obama on everything and especially when he told Turkey that we were not a Judo-Christian nation! Now , that made me hot. Cool down time. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are not a bad blogger. I have a few friends who are out of work, and they are past COBRA. So ... no health insurance at all. They simply cannot afford to get sick. What's sad is that presrciptions and over the counter meds are far cheaper here in the third world. It's sad b/c I have friends in the US who can't afford the prices in the US drugstores and doctor's offices. I paid the equivalent of $1 for a box of Advil yesterday. And I no longer buy my prescriptions in the States. I buy them here at usualy 1/2 of what I wold expect to pay in the States, even after the copay from my insurance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, we've seriously talked about moving out of the country because of this.....my daughter, who speaks fluent Spanish and my grandgirls would come with us! They aren't covered either! So sad.........

    ReplyDelete