Friday, February 20, 2009

Rave...Life happens!

I was reading a favorite blog, Big Ass Belle, and she was saying what I have heard so much this winter, including from myself...that it is just hard to get out of the doldrums. I have been having a hard time getting thoughts on paper now for a couple of months or more...thankfully life goes on and we still have things that we have to do. Lynette shared some of the things going on in her life and I found it a fascinating read! I love to hear what people say about their ordinary lives away from writing and commenting, and I told her so. She asked us to reciprocate, so I saved writing about what I've been up to for my blog...one can always use a good suggestion when the well runs dry!!

First, I also just finished reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' Being a born weeper, and being told I would cry throughout, I was surprised that I was very stoic during the reading of the book, but when it was over, I closed the book and sobbed. This is the part of the world we should have been in for these last 8 years......'Pillar's of the Earth', 'Edgar Sawtelle', and 'The Measure of a Man' are sitting on my bedside table. Oh, and a really fun read is Isabel Allende's "ZORRO"!!!!!!

I've been trying to stay one step ahead of the weather, but of course that's a stupid ass thing to do! One minute we are 80 degrees in January, then it's freezing and hailing, then sunny...I have roses, calas, crocosmias, daffodils, and tulips blooming...petunias are coming up and blooming in last years pots, and my plum tree is all blossomed out....the finches are eating us out of house and home, and the hummingbirds are having a blast! I just wish the weather would be consistant enough to do something more exciting, like start my garden....the grand daughters are already telling me what they think we should grow this year. I'm feeling really blessed that I have this to look at right now...it's a soul booster!

I've been planning a cruise...Mom and I are taking a mother/daughter trip to Mexico for our 80/60 birthdays!!!!!! I can't wait to show Mom this wonderful country, as she's always wanted to go...not the BEST way to see it, but good for this situation...we have some really good excursions planned to take advantage of seeing the "old" Mexico, not just touristy stuff. Personally I like to stay in the country awhile and be a local!!! We leave in 2 weeks!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!! This will definitely make me feel like spring could be happening....

The other thing I'm doing to bring spring along is sewing for my grand daughter's......thank God they're girly and love dresses!

Around here, rainy days wouldn't be the same without Big Ass Belle Chili...find the recipe on her blog...don't forget to read her other stuff...keeps me laughing and crying! Oh, and throw in some green chili and cheese corn bread!!!

We just refinanced our house...got a lower rate, but folded in the second, and ended up with a bigger mortgage! Still not bad, but doesn't go down well...all of the improvements, and we still have lost $400,000 on our house, which was most of our equity...scary stuff, but I feel luckier than most, as our neighbor is losing everything because his payment ballooned to almost $6000...the bank won't help him out, but hope the bailout money is not too late for him. My heart goes out to those whose incomes are being affected....that's the really scary stuff!

Sunday, I'm driving up to the SF Bay Area to see my high school friend and have lunch...we were pom pon girls together!!!!!! We've kept in touch over the years. I'm so lucky to have my friends still in my life...I lost my best friend when we were 34, so it's even more special to me.

I spend everyday being greatful for our new president, and despite the hardships, I feel we're in a better moral place for a change, and somehow that feels good...

See, Lynette, this is why I didn't put this on your comments!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the chance to just TALK!!!!!!!!! And for those of you who know me, you are aware this has never been an issue!

6 comments:

  1. I loved that book Chris.. can't wait till he writes another one.

    What a great trip you have planned for your Mom.

    Makes me ill to hear all the horror stories about people and their homes.
    We are one of the lucky ones with no mortgage.
    But we also still live in our starter home..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. hat a great post, Chris. Thanks for sharing your life. I am glad to hear that you are doing okay with housing and such. People who never ever would have worried about something like that are finding themselves out on the streets. Oh, those Wall Street rat bastards, how I despise them. :(

    I've spent too much time this morning reading the financial world commentary from Volcker, Soros, et al and now I'm teetering on complete despair. Ugh. Can't even think about it very long or I'll start screeching.

    The thing that got me ~ and it sounds like you, too ~ in A Thousand Splendid Suns was how the regular every day people in Afghanistan kept hoping we'd come and save them. We gave them arms to beat Russia, then just abandoned them, exhibiting the sociopathic underbelly of our foreign policy. We're willing to take on the commies, but once that's done, we're outta here, fend for yourselves. Such destruction, such a horrendous loss of life, of hope. Like you, I cried after and it still hits me every time I see something about Afghanistan on the news. Such a tragedy.

    Lucky you, going on a cruise. I love Mexico, it's my heart and soul. Can't get away any time soon, I don't think, too much uncertainty. I hope you enjoy it, and what a grand thing, a mother-daughter cruise. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do better if I don't check the investments too often! Just remember, they're buying cheap right now, and when things turn around, we'll have a lot more shares, worth more money...or so I tell myself!

    Glad I read the book too...it gives me such a picture in my head and when I hear about Afghanistan now, I get it!

    Probably not the best time for the cruise, but we have to have these experiences while we can....

    Thanks for visiting, and I hope you get back to Mexico soon...I know what you mean about being there. I'll bring some back with me in the form of pictures and a little blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trip with your mom sounds pretty great. I took my mom to Ireland three years ago and loved it!!! The only thing is that she did get a little parental on me. I suppose that never goes away, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The garden and the Mexico trip sound lovely! You are so lucky to have little girls to sew for, and they are lucky to have you! I miss making those girly things for my two girls when they were little. Don't forget to take lots of pictures in Mexico for those of us in the snow zone! That way we can dream of warmer days ahead. The housing/economic situation is scary, I think that is the reason everybody is in the doldrums this winter. It is hard to escape. I just cannot watch the news daily anymore, can't do it. I burned out from the election. I read the BBC and NPR news instead, they are not such alarmists. I am going over to check out Big Ass Belle's blog. Love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maternal stuff never goes away...just embrace, brace and enjoy, and try not to take it as a negative. When you don't have it anymore you will miss the counsel and wisdom.
    I will take lots of pictures, as we all need to know that winter does come to an end! We all have lots of other reasons to be out of sorts, and Mari, I'm with you, the election this year really took it out of me and I almost stopped blogging...couldn't believe how many people actually did that! I'm trying to limp along! The good news from all of this is that we still have hope..

    ReplyDelete