Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Rave...Recycling Clothes




We usually hear that getting hand-me-down clothes is not a good thing. My grand daughters think it's like Christmas! Elizabeth gets clothes handed down to her from her older cousin and loves, loves, loves it! Valentina has been the recipient of a lot of the clothes that I have kept of her sister's.

The other day was rainy and Valentina needed a pair of warm pants...out came the next bin of clothes marked 4-5 and we had a blast! Every item was like opening a present...her mouth went open and she ran out of the room saying "sister, sister, look at this one", to which Elizabeth replied, "Ohhh, I remember that one...that was my favorite", which of course made her sister like it even more!

After the excitement was over and I was wondering what I was going to do with some of the wornout stuff, I remembered we had talked about making skirts out of old jeans that had holes in the knees or had stains...next thing I knew I was getting out the sewing machine, and recycling old clothes, and left over material in two skirts the girls insisted on wearing the rest of the day!! Makes economic sense, and made the little ones very happy!

5 comments:

  1. That is so cool. And, such a sweet way to spend time and connect with the kids. I love that baby sis liked it even more because older sis recognized that it used to be her favorite.
    Wow, I remember my mom sewing away on her machine.
    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi honey, oh those turned out so darned cute!! I don't remember recycling anything for you because I made all of your clothes and we didn't have any relatives around us to recycle!! I can just hear Teeny saying, Sistah, Sistah!!! See you soon., Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute...
    My sister and I wore a lot of hand me downs..I loved them.
    My mom didn't sew, I did while I was in High school..but didn't keep up with it very long.
    I hated putting in zippers and just didn't have the patience.
    I envy people who do

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back memories. My sister had 3 girls, all older than mine. We used to get her hand-me-downs. Those clothes managed to survive three uses and then pretty much my kiddos killed them. She would store old clothes at my parent's house, so it was like a shopping spree when we'd go invade my mom's closet.

    Love the skirts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative idea for used clothing!!! As a younger sibling, I must admit that I hated the hand-me-downs. However, we didn't have much money and looking back, it made a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete