In the wake of joyfulness, there has also been an outpouring of anger and hate. Some from disappointed Repubs and the like, but also from both sides of the Prop 8 situation here in Calif. I don't know if I can formulate words for this today...I'll briefly try.
Hate will unfortunately be a part of our lives here in America, as well as around the world...maybe forever...I don't see it going away any time soon. My simplistic way to negate the effect is to counter it with a positive move, use it as a force for good, get organized, fired up and busy changing things for the better...hate only begets more hate......which do you choose?
It doesn't take much to hate, I'm afraid. Finding one thing to like out of every person/situation can be hard. Many are too unwilling to do the work to find the good. However, I find that it is worth it. Go fig.
ReplyDeleteIt's not so much finding something in that person or situation to redeem or even like, but to take the energy you would otherwise use in hating back, and redirect it into something positive to get what you want, or make a difference for someone else. As always, thanks for your input!
ReplyDeleteTrue. But I could even find something that I liked about Palin: Her glasses.
ReplyDeleteShe does have good glasses!
ReplyDeleteThere will be a No on Prop 8 community rally at the County Courthouse 240 Church St (corner of West Alisal),Salinas on Monday, November 10 at 4:30 PM. This is our chance to show everyone that Prop 8 was wrong and unfair, and we are going to demand equality now.
ReplyDeleteThis is a historic time. No on 8 rallies are occurring in cities across the state. We must rise up and make our voices heard! We, our friends, and our families have been assaulted and a fundamental right has been stolen from us simply because of who we are. So unite! Let us come together now and unleash our power and speak with one voice: WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!
Bring signs, wear protest shirts, and invite your friends, family and co-workers!
Fritz...having a problem getting back on your blog! good luck with the rally! I have sick kids right now. I loved that you went out to take pictures...I do that too when I'm stressed out! They are beautiful btw....
ReplyDeleteI was so disappointed when Prop 8 passed, but am very encourages by the show of support to overturn it.
ReplyDeleteI love finding people of the same political views as me.
Chris, I love that Obama T-shirt.
Tonight on Frontline on PBS, a story of Lee Atwater who really knew how to bring hate to elections, with a down south good old boy smile..
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/atwater/
GT...thanks for visiting! Hope we can keep in touch....yeah, I like my shirt too...now it's a collector's item! Thanks for the heads up on the PBS story.
ReplyDeleteMonterey Fight the H8 rally is on:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.fritzliess.com/2008/11/prop-8-rally-at-colton-hall.html
Chris, for what it's worth, it means a lot to me that you have taken on the fight there. And you are absolutely right about hate begetting more hate.
ReplyDeleteWe have to be careful not to completely alienate those who we wish to educate and win over. It's kind of a balancing act.
Don't you find it interesting that most of the hate is at the hands of 'Christians?' I don't get it...just do NOT get it.
(OH yes...I love, love, love that you are getting all these readers and commenters!)
Yeah, the Christian stance is a real sad part for me, but I have been dealing with it since I was a teenager in my church...mostly around the civil rights movement at that time...I discussed it with Laurie...it will always be a big disappointment in my life.
ReplyDelete