I posted this once already in my fall post,
but with the holidays coming up, I decided
to do it again...I was never a cranberry relish person, but when I got this as a gift from a friend,
it's been my mainstay for many fall dinners as well
as the holidays, and also gifts for friends and family.
It goes well with poultry, pork and vegetarian dishes like
a wild rice stuffed squash...Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
CRANBERRY CHUTNEY
Simmer for 5 min:
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 clove chopped garlic
4 whole cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. vinegar
dash of cayenne
Add:
2 c. fresh cranberries
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped dates
1/4 c. chopped preserved ginger
1/4 c. brown sugar
Simmer until thickened...usually after 12 min. Cool
Makes 3 cups.
I find bags of pre-chopped dates and ginger which is much easier......
If you keep it refrigerated, it will last a long time!
Hi there, Just read Todd's blog and commented. Haven't made any chutney yet, but I plan to and thanks again for the recipe. Luv, Mom
ReplyDeleteYeah, nice to have Todd back safe and sound. Glad you got the recipe again...you must have gotten on before I took the picture and added it! Enjoy! Luv u 2!
ReplyDeleteYummmm, That's a great looking picture. I used to make cranberry bread in mini-loaves for friends. It was always a hit. Happy Thanksgiving, Chris.
ReplyDeleteI love cranberry bread! Maybe you could pass that recipe on? If you are celebrating this year, have a good one as well...we have much to be greatful for, despite the rough times...
ReplyDeleteHmmmm I got the recipe orginally off of the back of a bag of cranberries. I don't think if I have it in Honduras. Yes, I have 2 days off for T-day, which is unusual in Honduras.
ReplyDeleteOkay Laurie...I'll see if I can get you another one! I have good sources...my Mom is one! Speaking of cranberries, I put them in my stuffing, along with apples and sausage...a recipe my daughter found....it's fantastic! We have a menu that we have perfected over the years, and when I ask everyone if we should change it, they all say NOOOOOOO!
ReplyDeleteI discovered that I have a newly formed allergy to ginger a couple years ago. :-( I wonder if it would affect the taste if I left it out of the recipe.
ReplyDeleteGood question...chutney is known for it's sweet and spicy combination, and most call for ginger...but the rest of the ingredients are great together as well. It won't taste the same obviously, but some call for red chili/chili flakes...maybe that would work...I say go for it! You might want to add a little more of something else like more of the raisins and dates, to make up for the other 1/4 c.
ReplyDeleteI found my recipe online. But I have to start looking for cranberries here. That's the challenge! The good news I have found pumpkin pie filling, turkey, and stuffing mix. Cranberries may be too much to hope for. Last year I ate T-Day dinner at the US base. But this year, I don't have an invitation. So I guess I may have to cook for my gringo friends.
ReplyDeleteActually that sounds fun! Situations always change, but the main thing is just to be together and be thankful. We may actually have a last minute change in our plans as well, and I'll probably blog about it...
ReplyDeletegood luck in finding cranberries!
The chutney was a big hit! I made a double batch. I used golden raisins, BTW. The recipe didn't specify. But, I thought it would look prettier.
ReplyDeleteGREAT!!!! That makes me feel so good! Glad you liked it and the golden raisins work just at well...hope you had a good holiday........
ReplyDeletethis is a long lost recipe that is now found thanks to you!
ReplyDeleteI used dried apricots rather than dates. The cayenne is what takes it over the top!