Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday around here....we've perfected our gourmet menu, and have served it now for several years. Any mention of changing it, brings a resounding NOOOOO! One of the reasons we have returned to a more traditonal way of celebrating this holiday, is grandchildren... No more sitting at a beach restaurant in Cabo, with our toes in the sand, enjoying a perfectly grand sunset, eating lobster and drinking wine for Thanksgiving! But I digress!!!!
This year we have been planning a Krejsa family dinner, as we lost our wonderful Lois, and my mother-in-law, in June. Everyone thought it would be good to all be together, so of course, being the person who has never learned to not have great expectations, I have been putting my all into it for the last few months. That's why 6 days before Thanksgiving, when I learned that the only person coming was my sister-in-law, and everyone else has bowed out for one reason or another, I was in tears. When my grand-daughters learned we had changed our plans, decided not to cook here, but instead go to Nepenthe, where my daughter works, and take advantage of an awesome menu done just for employees and their families, they were in tears!!! "It won't be the same!" Then they found out their father is going to have them, and we won't be together at all, and so more tears all around!!!
Holidays can be a joy and a curse sometimes! Since we have our share of joys, and more than most, I'm am trying to remember the reason for the season...to be greatful. We have a chance for a new, and brighter future for our country with an able and committed leader...my family is good, including healthy parents, a wedding and new baby to look forward to this year...a wonderful, beautiful place to eat our Thanksgiving dinner (a place where people from all over the world travel to...) I'm also thankful for and proud of my little girlies, who feel so passionately about family and tradition. I've got the best mate in the world! And....as much as I love to do it...I don't have to cook!!!!!!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!
Turkey Day has been kept small for the past few years thanks to having a dysfunctional family. I might not have turkey leftovers to last me till Christmas. However, I get to spend a couple days alone with my mom and that, to me, is a fantastic Turkey Day!!!
ReplyDeleteOH how I wish I had my Mom here with me this year! I could really use that! Have a great mother/daughter time!
ReplyDeleteAw, Chris....this is great! Sorry it took me so long to find your post about Thanksgiving...!
ReplyDeleteBeing thankful is what it's all about, eh?