Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rant & Rave...World AIDS Day

Support World AIDS Day

We are celebrating World Aids Day Dec.1st....is that a celebration? A remembrance? What in the hell is it? AIDS took my handsome, sweet, talented cousin, Eric, away from me and his very supportive family and friends...taken away because of a person who he trusted, who infected him with HIV, and that person knew he was infected!!!! I'm angry about that, angry that Eric died, angry that we haven't found a cure, that innocent women are dying, and that children are dying or orphaned because of this horrible disease. I could go on.........
I guess remembrance is the best way to go....remembering how this affliction has affected us personally, culturally, globally.....will help us to continue the fight by supporting groups that deal with AIDS related efforts in our communities, and support for continued research for a cure. Mostly, don't forget it's still out there. People who can get the newest medications, are living longer and having productive lives, but it doesn't mean it's a cure.
I will be wearing my AIDS ribbon pin, and my 'until there's a cure' bracelet, that I wear everyday, what will you be doing?

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your cousin Eric. AIDS is a terrible disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurie...it just doesn't seem to get any easier somehow...other family members have passed as well, but this day always seems to open the wounds for all of us...I guess because there is such a reminder....a reminder that we all HAVE to have until the fight is over. I guess that makes it worth it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Honduras has the highest rate of HIV of all of the countries of Central America, and many are probably children? The abuse/prostituting of these kids on the streets there is a huge concern for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris...I still wear my silver-plated AIDS bracelet as a reminder of what still has to be done. Great post, by the way.

    The scary thing about AIDS here is how it is affecting women. Honduran women have to deal with the prevailing machismo...including increased infection rates. This fight is most definitely not over.

    I will never forget you, Gary and Robert during Eric's illness....never.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine's brother has AIDS. It's amazing how far science has come with the meds. However, I hope a cure can be found soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a couple friends who lost their sons to Aids, both have been very active ever since in programs to help those with HIV.
    I went to mass and lit a candle..

    ReplyDelete