Monday, October 27, 2008

Rant...Are our votes safe?

This morning a lot of bloggers are really concerned about the security of their votes....I'm hearing it over and over! Foreigners are saying they can't believe, since we are the most democratic and powerful country on earth, that we don't have confidence in our voting system.
I can't say that I haven't been worried as well, especially since an election has been stolen before...we are all nervous!! This is going to be THE most important election of our time... whoever wins will change our country's direction for the better or worse. I wish I knew the answer to making the best and safest choice...we are sending our votes in by mail, as we have in the past. My daughter is going to the voting booth, as she doesn't trust the mail. A friend in Ghana has sent his vote back to the states, via the capable hands of a friend, who will then deliver it in person to the city hall!! (of course his was one of the "lost" votes in 2004, which along with thousands of others, could have made a difference).
It's a little embarrassing, with the world watching, that we are having this very serious concern. Do we have too many options for voting? Is it putting us more at risk for error? OR is having only ONE way to do it, putting us in a position for someone to mess with the results? With Obama being ahead in the polls, we will see if the vote reflects the 'stated' wishes of a cross section the people. I am trying to feel politive, but with the underhandedness, and subversiveness of past elections and other administration tweeking of the truth...neither of which I would have ever thought would happen in this country...I am saddend, to say the least.
Let me know what you think........leave your votes on my poll!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, good post. I have a blog article that I am excited about. You may like it too. It's about how to get more comments on your site. The link is http://www.problogger.net/archives/2006/10/12/10-techniques-to-get-more-comments-on-your-blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Chris. I am concerned about the security of "our" votes - not necessarily those in California, but those in the swing states, especially those who vote by touch-screen. You would think with all of the technological advances that the states could secure the voting machines....but I guess not. On another note, I'm sure you've heard about the attacks in Syria. Maybe I'm being cynical, but does this appear to be a tactic by the Republican Party to ensure the election of McCain via his military experience and more fear-mongering? Scary....but it's worked before. Let's HOPE it doesn't happen this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Shana! Great to hear from you...hugs! We are so used to some tactic taking away from what's going on that we automatically react! The only good thing is that this time it actually struck me as something not in our favor and certainly didn't get us any kudos in the international community. Hopefully it will show that we need a new approach to what's going on! Let's hope that's the case...thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is, I am THRILLED the Obama team went on the offensive and have filed lawsuits BEFORE the election instead of after. They have nipped some of the GOP voter fraud strategies in the bud. That said, what about a little more regulation? I know, I know...more government-- bad, bad, bad---but c'mon...don't you think a little more standardization is in order?

    I LOVE your passion with No on Prop 8, cuz!!! Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Todd...I've found a fellow blogger here on the Monterey Peninsula, and helping the NO on 8 cause...check out Fritz!!! He also goes on JMG! I put him on my blog list, and his photography of the area is great...he's given me some great advice to help my blog as well.
    As I watch tv and read online, I'm still feeling concerned about this voting mess...I hope you are right about nipping it in the bud early...did you vote on my poll? I want people's input on what they think we should do in the future to avoid any more problems. Hope you can get out of Honduras!

    ReplyDelete