Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rave...FALL!!!!



I love fall...it's my favorite time of year!  Besides the fact that it is our best weather,  I love the colors,  the smells,  the decorations,  the food.   It's always a wonderful time of year to entertain and have friends over for a great dinner and a fresh pie...I prefer cooking and baking at this time of year. 
We always look forward to taking Elizabeth and Valentina out to THE FARM,  the place I buy my organic produce,  to pick out gourds and pumpkins.   This has become something that we all look forward to every year.  After Halloween,  we cut up and dice,  steam and puree the pumpkins for the freezer for later pumpkin recipes...bread,  muffins,  and soup.
Of course Halloween is now a lot more fun again,  with little ones around...we used to turn out the lights,  and go to the movies!!!!!!!!   Now we go to the school programs,  parties and trick or treating!!!  What a change...
One of my favorite things is to make a big batch of cranberry chutney,  years ago a gift to us during the holidays.....now we like to pass it on to others every year for gifts....a jar plus recipe.  So since this is a blog,  all you get is the recipe...SORRY.  But look at it this way...you get to try it out yourself,  which is half the fun anyway,  and maybe it will become a tradition for you!!!!!  I like to start early,  because it isn't just for Thanksgiving or Christmas...I use it with all of my fall recipes,  as it goes with everything.  I hope you enjoy!

                 CRANBERRY CHUTNEY

Simmer for 5 min:
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 clove chopped garlic
4 whole cloves 
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. vinegar
dash of cayenne

Add:
2 c. fresh cranberries
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped dates
1/4 c. chopped preserved ginger
1/4 c. brown sugar

Simmer until thickened...usually after 12 min.  Cool
Makes 3 cups.

I find bags of pre-chopped dates and ginger which is much easier......
If you keep it refrigerated,  it will last a long time!


3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite recipes since Chris made it for us and I try to make it every fall. Thanks for the inspiration, honey. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't my great granddaughter adorable? AND , I am not at all predjudiced, got it?? Chris and Gary do so many COOL things with these girls and I applaud them for making their lives so full. Again, from a loving Mom, Grandmother and GG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww....how cute are they??? Looks like soooo much fun!

    ReplyDelete