Saturday, October 4, 2008

Raves.....just life.......

I haven't written in a while, and I'm suffering from fleeting thoughts.....SO, might as well hit all the high points in one post, as I can't decide which is more important.

#1...Tahoe was great!! Nothing like a good old fashioned dose of nature to put life into perspective, calm the soul, and heal the spirit. When you get out into the "world" as it is in the back country, you see the REAL deal, in all of it's majesty and beauty...so overwhelming that it fills you up, and God is so close that you just start talkin to him...........no fair asking me what I said, but it was definitely GREATFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2...Despite the economic crisis and debate during our getaway, we tried to make the best of it. We wore our OBAMA pins every day, even on the hiking trails...got a lot of positive feedback, and had the greatest conversations with people from all over the country. Even a guy wearing a McCaine/Palin pin commented "I guess we're doing our parts!" and I responded that we were and good for us. We came home feeling encouraged about our species in general...always a good thing.......

#3...Today, we helped fellow neighbors to go through the belongings of our beloved older neighbor, Joe, who passed away the day before we left on our trip...I don't even know if I can put into words what I was feeling, but for some reason I have a need to try at least. I've gone through this before with family, but maybe I was too close to see the irony, because it was too personal and emotional. First was the "for sale" sign in his front yard as we drove into our driveway...then walking into the house, seeing and being overwhelmed by the "stuff" accumulated over so many years of traveling the world with his wife in the military...family didn't want most of it...unlike Joe, no memories, no attachment, no joy...just sensless stuff. I felt such a sense of sadness at looking at all of the stuff.......and no Joe. We accumulate, hopefully find some joy in some of it, but in the end, it's just stuff..............

1 comment:

  1. Awww...so sad about your neighbor, Chris. Am heartened to hear your getaway to Tahoe was great, though. And...I LOVE that you are such an Obama fanatic!

    In what regard, Charlie?

    ReplyDelete