I met Angelica and her daughter in Antigua, Guatemala, selling textiles in the Central Park. I bought some things from them that I really didn't need, because I knew she needed some money that day for her kids. I felt like I helped a little, but came away feeling very inadequate at filling the big gapping hole called poverty. It was only a bandaid...they have their place on some days. What I would have hoped for her was that she wasn't working for someone else and getting only a fraction of the money that I gave her, but selling her own beautiful textiles, like those she and her daughter were wearing, keeping all of the money, sending her kids to school, securing their futures and breaking the cycle...BIG dreams, but sounds good to me.
The good news is that there are people out there trying to make these dreams come true and there are ways that you can help! Today is BLOG ACTION DAY, and thousands of people are blogging all at the same time on the subject of poverty. I am trying to do my part by making this information available to all of you, so that you can read about some of the things that can be done. Just click on the link above.
Today, I am also taking the opportunity to honor a dear friend, who is my hero when it comes to helping others....Dr. Phyllis Kaplan, PHD, an educator who teaches others to teach. When she isn't doing her day job, she is off in Guatemala or Cambodia or South America supporting orphanages. She has saved the lives of many children by giving them the tools to climb out of the big gapping hole of poverty. While she has no biological children, she and her sainted husband have raised many children in their home in San Francisco...many genders, races and countries! They are now successful and giving back...a great perscription for poverty! Thanks Phyllis for all that you do, and for being in my life!!!!!!
Very cool. Good picture. I admire your friend. I don't have biological children either. But maybe saving lives here counts a bit.
ReplyDeleteThanks Laurie...I love that picture too...they were so sweet to me, and I told them that whenever I looked at my purchase and their picture I would think of them and remember their names. We all have our ways of changing the world....I could never live up to Phyllis in a thousand years, so I don't even go there...what you are doing is great, and you deserve your own honors! Keep it up!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Chris. You're a blogging natural! Alot of great women named Phyllis, eh??
ReplyDeleteYou got it!! I feel REALLY lucky! Dr. Phyllis teaches teachers who are going into Special education jobs, where your Dad was more into teaching teachers who were going for their masters in Educ. As for my Mom, well that goes without saying!!! Hugs for the encouragement...
ReplyDelete